Vakava Team Photo

Vakava Team Photo
Vakava Racers at the Mora Last Chance Race

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Preloppet

From Andy Schakel:

Well I decided it was time to start getting into shape somehow . . . so I signed up for the Preloppet knowing that I would be hurting.  I waxed up with Fastwax tan covered by Fastwax cold.  My skis felt overall very fast.  I lined up in the second row behind teammate Nate Porath knowing that he would get out fast.   The gun went off and I doubled poled behind Nate, and after the double pole zone I was in about 3rd or fourth place.  I ended up hitting skis and poles with elite skier Flying Fungi Master, Devin Arenz.  I heard a few shreaks and down he went.  Sorry Devin.  Well the rest of the race was getting used to again the feeling of burning lungs.   I settled into a group of about 5 guys and was able to relax and enjoy the pack skiing.  The interesting part of the course was the 180 degree turn at the bottom of the largest hill with about 5 inches of rutted out snow.  KJ didn't make the full 180 degree turn and instead made about a 90 degree turn off into no mans land.   I then enjoyed trying to keep up with Per as he was jump skating up the climbs.   I finally finished and was able to stay up without any "yard sales" like Flying Fungi master . . . Devin.  Great race put on by COLL!

No comments:

Post a Comment