Vakava Team Photo

Vakava Team Photo
Vakava Racers at the Mora Last Chance Race

Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Secrets to Being a Faster Skier #1: Side Abs

 While I wouldn't define myself as an “Elite” skier, I’m well aware that I’m a competent Master who usually finishes around the top 10% in the combined men’s and women’s field of the Classic Birkie. This means I see lots of skiers who could benefit from improved ski skills. In the following posts I’m not going to belabor specific techniques (i.e. double pole, striding, V-1, V-2, V-2 alternate) but rather fill in gaps to develop confidence on skis and rollerskis.

This series (yes, I know, I still haven’t finished my Analysis Series yet) I’ve already determined will have six posts, unlike when I started my Crossroads Series and didn’t know when it would end.

Over a decade ago, I overheard a personal trainer telling someone that the secret to a six pack was to do side abdominal exercises. Wanting said six pack, I immediately started doing side abs once per week with two other days per week doing more front abs as I had been doing. While ten plus years later I still don’t have a six pack and have at best some resemblance of model abs, the improvement in my core stability for fast cornering was marked and I haven’t stopped doing them since. While I know this isn’t anything to do on skis, take this post as a building block for the next ones to come.

Here are the exercises and sequence I do on each side, each of these for 1 minute and then I repeat on the other side. I always start with my left side since it seems weaker and do this routine every other week because I don’t want my abs to get used to them.


Low side plank

Side V-up

Side crunches on back

Leg lifts, dropping leg to the opposite side you are working on

Low side plank

Side V-ups


This is the hardest ab workout I do and find blasting music helps. I’m partial to Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift to get me started. To make it harder, either hold planks for longer, do more planks, or for the ultimate challenge do 1 minute of low side plank, 1 minute of high side plank, and then 1 minute again of low side plank all on the same side.

To make this easier either decrease the duration of each exercise (30 seconds instead of 1 minute) and/or alternate sides instead of doing all one side at the same time.

Here’s photos and descriptions of the exercises including two bonus exercises that I work into other ab days. 

Low side plank. This is working my right side abs. I prefer to do a low versus high (on the hand) plank because I have weak shoulders. You can do either just make sure to keep your elbow or hand directly below your shoulder joint. I also raise my opposite hand to make it slightly harder. When this gets hard think about pushing the hip that's into the air higher to make sure you aren't collapsing.


Side V-up rest position. Start the exercise (this one is the only one I'm showing for the left side) on your side.

 

Side V-up active position. Use your hands to support your neck. Crunch with the side abs to both raise your shoulders off the ground and your feet off the ground.

Side crunch on back rest position. This will be opposite elbow to opposite knee. Again this position works the right side abs.

Side crunch on back active position. Again, only use your hands to cradle your neck, not to pull on it. Focus on squeezing your abs to get towards your knee. No worries if you can't touch your knee.

Leg lift rest position. Press your back into the floor using your transverse abs throughout this exercise. Start with your legs together and up in in the air.

Leg lift active position. Now "drop" or lower your legs to the opposite side of the abs you are working (working right abs so legs go to the left) and then bring your legs back to the starting position, keeping the legs together and keeping your back pressed into the floor.

Bonus exercise: standing anti-rotation press with anchored resistance. I learned this one recently from my physical therapist. Either use an exercise band or a cable machine. Keep a wide stance, with slightly bent knees. Keep core stable. Stand and hold resistance band/cable with both hands that is anchored to your side. Press arms forward. Hold briefly, then bring back to your core. Repeat 15-30 reps until you feel a good burn in the side of your abs pointed away from the anchor point. Don't let your trunk rotate while doing this exercise.

 

Bonus exercise: dumbbell side bend. This is one of my favorite exercises to do in preparation for a canoe race with portages (think Red Bull Urban Portage). I find that a 30 pound dumbbell is about right for me. Here again I'm working my right abs. While tightening my right abs, I lower the dumbbell I'm holding in my left hand about 6 inches. Then squeezing my right abs, I raise the dumbbell back to neutral position seen in the next photo.

Bonus exercise: dumbbell side bend. I find that I get more from this exercise if I hold in this position for 3-5 seconds before I repeat. This is because even in this position the right side abs remained engaged in a static hold more similar to a plank.

Start cranking out this (or some rendition of) workout once weekly and I’ll be back in a couple weeks with the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment