Vakava Team Photo

Vakava Team Photo
Vakava Racers at the Mora Last Chance Race

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Marine/O'Brien

Mary Beth Tuttle reports:

The Marine/O' Brien is a great small town race. It is always so well organized and fun, with a beautiful trail system.  I was thrilled to see that there was enough snow to pull the race off.  Dave Christopherson, my son Will and I inspected the course the day before, so I knew that there were going to be a few icy spots.  I chose my most stable skis, my Atomic hard tracks with a Finn Sisu uni grind to help keep me on my feet.  The weather was perfect for 2 coats of Fast Wax  HSLF teal, covered with HSF green, topped with Cold Flite.  I chose a little colder base layers due to the abrasiveness of the snow.

The race was definitely challenging, with the obvious hilly terrain, and the not so obvious, including a broken pole ten minutes before the start of the race, icy spots, grass and exposed dirt and falling skiers. Still, it was great to be in the woods on a real trail and natural snow.  There was a really large and competitive turnout, over 400 skiers, from all over the Metro and beyond.  One of the highlights was to watch the wood ski event and the characters that show up to participate in it.  I also love to watch the kids race and see their excitement and as they cross the finish line.  It's truly a family event for all the generations to enjoy.  It was fun to connect with old and new friends, enjoy the great outdoors and get a good workout in all at once.  A big thank you to the race organizers, volunteers, groomers and other Park staff who helped make it happen!

Vakava results, 25k skate
Nate Porath                      3rd overall          1st in age group
Evgeny Beletskiy             5th overall           3rd in age group
Andy Schakel                   16th overall         5th in age group
Rob Edman                      20th overall        6th in age group
Mary Beth Tuttle               2nd overall         1st in age group
Katy Splan                        9th overall          2nd in age group

No comments:

Post a Comment